This year, Moscow Hedge Fund Week 2018, organized traditionally by NAIMA, Moscow Hedge Fund Managers Club (MHFMC) and Bloomberg, included a number of exclusive events for the professional business community in Moscow.
The two-day event started on April 4 with a session for investors, family offices and fund of funds (17% of all attendees), as well as management companies and hedge funds (22% of all guests). Within the framework of the session, Michael Boboshko (NAIMA’s Chairman of the Hedge Fund Committee) for the first time presented an updated report on the state of the industry of "Russian hedge funds" according to data as of the beginning of 2018. Also, for the first time, a seminar was held by KPMG (NAIMA Member) on investing in foreign hedge funds. The morning ended with a closed session for qualified investors, where investment advisors presented investors with hedge funds.
At the end of the first day of Moscow Hedge Fund Week 2018, investment advisors and top managers of hedge funds met in two parallel sessions. The first session was with Harneys, dedicated to the implementation of MIFID II, the second session was with Interactive Brokers. After a short break, the managers discussed the specifics of algorithmic strategies and strategies based on Russian equities. Experts from Equinox, UFG and Verno Capital shared their wisdom with the audience. This day also ended with two sessions - during one session, "real" hedge funds, specializing in crypto-currencies met to discuss the specifics of this business. In the second session well-known experts such as Andrei Movchan, Pavel Teplukhin and Albert Sagiryan (GEMCorp, NAIMA Member) discussed Fixed-income investment strategies.
The second day of Moscow Hedge Fund Week 2018 (April 5) was devoted to topics that are relevant for those who are studying the possibilities of an investment business in the hedge fund format. George Ivanyan (Europe Finance, NAIMA Member), Michael Boboshko (NAIMA’s Chairman of the Hedge Fund Committee) and Vladimir Burov (PwC, NAIMA Member), among other speakers, shared their experience in the industry. All key topics were discussed: from the basics of the industry, the characteristics of particular jurisdictions and service providers to the principles of launching structures and marketing of hedge funds.
After two days of events that gave participants a lot of "food for thought," professionals from the Moscow investment community were invited to the Fourth Annual Hedge Fund Industry Awards. During this annual event, the business community got the chance to find out the best of the best of the Hedge Fund Industry in Moscow. The hedge fund assessment process relies entirely on objective raw numbers. NAIMA’s Hedge Fund Committee, with contribution from MHFMC, reviews the risk and return characteristics of all reporting funds, and determines the winner in each category.
And the winners are:
- Best Equities - Russia / CIS Fund (Long Only) - Prosperity Quest Fund
- Best Equities - Russia / CIS Fund (Long Short) - UFG Russia Select Fund
- Best Multi-Asset - Russia / CIS Fund - UFG Special Situations Fund
- Best Equities - Global Fund - Altera Absolute Global Fund
- Best Derivatives Fund Overall - TFT Partners Fund
- Best Fixed-Income Fund Overall - GEMCorp Fund
- Best Multi-Asset - Global Fund - SAVA Capital
- Best 3-Year Result Fund Overall (2015-2017) - Equinox Russian Opportunities Fund
- Best 3-Year Sharpe Ratio Fund Overall (2015-2017) - Flag Quantitative Strategies Fund
- Best Hedge Fund Law Firm - Walkers
- Best Hedge Fund Auditor - Deloitte
- Best Hedge Fund Prime Broker - Citi Prime Finance
- Best Hedge Fund Administrator - APEX Fund Services